Thursday, February 2, 2012

Egg Salad Sandwiches

First off, I have to establish a disclaimer here. I never ever tried an egg salad sandwich as a kid. My parents never made them. Maybe their parents never made them either. But one day not so long ago, I was over at a friend's house for lunch (our kids were playing), and she looked in the fridge and said, "Hmm. Kinda low on ingredients. How about an egg salad sandwich?" I'm always game for new foods, so I said sure. I helped (watched) her make the sandwiches and then took a bite.

Yum!

We now have egg salad sandwiches all the time, and the kids love them. They're smooth and squishy, and you can make them salty if you want or you can add some crunch with pickle relish or chopped celery. And kids like to help make them.

If you're like me and have never been exposed to egg salad sandwiches, here's a basic recipe. But after you've made them once, you won't need a recipe. And my friend was right: they're great when you're low on ingredients. They don't take much.

4 hard-boiled eggs
3 Tbs. mayo
1 tsp. mustard (regular, Dijon, or anything)
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (not necessary but yummy)
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper.

Smoosh the eggs through the tines of a fork until they look like crumbs. Kids like to help with this step. Then add all the other ingredients and stir until nice and uniform. Slather it onto bread.

Fancy add-ins:
Pimientos
Pickle relish
Chopped celery
Tuna fish
Chopped olives
Sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment